Board index Peugeot RCZ Peugeot RCZ Forum News, Announcements & Forum Help Bought RCZ Monday--gone friday

Bought RCZ Monday--gone friday

Peugeot RCZ Forum News, Announcements & Competitions & Help. Forum feedback, suggestions and help.

Post Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:19 am
MagicianRCZ Regular
Regular

Kudos: 1
Well I can probably claim the shortest ownership of an RCZ since the first one was sold. I bought my RCZ (having been assured it had got the ECU timing chain update)on Monday 17th October picking it up from Peugeot dealer at 10.30 am. By 12.45 it was back for noises coming from engine...to me it sounded like the dreaded 'donking' sound made by the DMF starting to go west :crazy: Senior tech gets put straight on to investigating :eusa-think: takes car in workshop and 3 techs plus sales and reception staff all collect around engine bay :o , but the technician cannot say for sure what it is. Appointment made for Friday and courtesy car also offered, pleased with good service so far :thumbup: Take car away and park it in my garage. Get straight on to RCZ owners site and come across jacking point issue, contribute my offerings on jacking up low suspended cars....hang on hadn't I better go and check my RCZ's jacking points. Nip into garage and lay alongside drivers side and heypresto :x jacking point squashed flat and sill split wide open, plastic sill trim cracked and drivers floor pushed up slightly.... :thumbdown: brilliant. Check the rest and the rear protrusions of the jacking points are bent but no crushing....getting more than a bit upset now!!!!The Dealer wanted the car in on Thursday night for a cold start up test on Friday morning...not an unreasonable request especially as I was being provided with a courtesy car then. Tuesday evening I decided to record the 'donking noise' for posterity in case they had trouble on the Friday. I've done approximately 12 miles in the car so far and I'm noticing that with the engine cold and in my garage there is a distinct rattle coming from the drivers side of the engine (timing side) and a distinct 'donk' from the clutch/flywheel area (centre of engine bay) and by depressing the clutch pedal the donking noise can be eliminated. Wednesday I had to use the car to do an essential journey 45 miles and upon returning when I got out of the car the rattling from the engine sounded like I had a diesel under the bonnet rather than the smooth petrol; the noise when I opened the bonnet was like some one dragging a bicycle chain over the edge of a dustbin..dammed noisy :thumbdown: :( Now I was becoming more observant having now seen through the alluring guise of the RCZ body. Now I found that a wheel bolt cover was missing (small item but now significant) and on closer inspection the rear discs were very worn and rusty with the pads not making full contact with the disc brake surface due to ridges in the discs. Next I move the car out of the garage for more checking but what do I see on the garage floor but a coolant puddle which lines up with the middle of the engine bay. Go indoors and write rejection letter, no printer ink dam it. Take car back to dealers for Thursday evening appointment, go over issues found and agree that service dept. were only aware of the donking noise, fair enough! collect loan car (brilliant little town car 208 with gutsy 3 cyl petrol) Friday morning having consulted with friend in legal practice who advises not to muck about but deliver letter and get money back. Go to dealer present letter and sit and wait (10.30am now my RCZ hasn't moved from where I parked it Thursday night so much for that then) Sales Manager approached me and says that he and the Dealer Principal have read my letter listing the faults and that they will be refunding my money in full with a cheque being raised immediately. Can I have my part exchange back please? Yes we'll get it out for you, so I phone my insurance company to rearrange cover back to my old car; very obliging and offer no charge for this due to the problems I have had...excellent. Just one problem..Sales Manager come back over to me ....er..we've sold your part exchange at auction. :roll: :o :shock: :eusa-think: :wtf: Back on the phone to insurance company and explain whats happened; no trouble they say we'll cancel the policy and refund your balance and we won't charge you...their apologetic and its not any of their doing....brilliant and considerate insurance company :thumbup: Got my cheque now includes p/x value of my old car and service manager says to keep the courtesy car until Friday evening...how goods that?

So I owned an RCZ for 5 days, drove about 58 miles, discovered 9 faults most of which should not have been on a car on display in a Peugeot dealers forecourt. The car was good to drive but let down by aesthetic and mechanical faults. The Dealer was; in terms of looking after me exemplary and the guys on the service counter were brilliant :thumbup: Pity the pre sales inspection and preparation was rubbish :thumbdown:

Enjoy your cars guys and gals I still think the RCZ is beautiful and a cool car to see but I'll be looking at something else to own. Something with decent jacking points and no history of crappy timing chain components. I certainly won't blame the DMF that was a normal wear and tear issue.

Post Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:19 pm
2retro User avatar

Kudos: 387
I think you just got unlucky there with a real dog of a car but glad you got it sorted. :dance:

Post Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:31 am
MagicianRCZ Regular
Regular

Kudos: 1
Thanks 2retro.
The RCZ is a stunning looking car but I've now gone and bought something a little more solid :thumbup: Just think if Peugeot had made the RCZ mid-engined, they could have binned the rear seats and where the engine used to be that becomes the boot area. Er I had a car like that way back Toyota MR2, in fact as memory serves I've owned 2. :beer:

Return to Peugeot RCZ Forum News, Announcements & Forum Help