Board index Peugeot RCZ RCZ Detailing & Car Care Scratch removal after bump

Scratch removal after bump

Discuss everything to do with cleaning, waxing & detailing your RCZ.

Post Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:48 pm
SamF10 User avatar

Kudos: 15
So I have had my RCZ for just 3 weeks today and some dipstick at the supermarket this morning managed to reverse into the side of it, causing me to almost sh*t myself and swear profusely. :evil:

Fortunately it was not as bad as first thought and only really scuffed the car, I have been able to get most of it out but there are a few stubborn small scratches as you may be able to see from the picture below (not easy to get a good photo as they are pretty minor):

What would be the best polish or other product to use to remove these?

Thanks!
Mk1 RCZ GT THP 156
Dolphin Blue with Grey Leather

Post Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:17 pm
2retro User avatar

Kudos: 537
You must be livid! Supermarket car parks are a bloody hazard for sure. The missus moans at me because I always park at the far end of the car park away from everyone (it's only about a quarter mile walk to the store from there! lol).

Were you in the car at the time or did you witness it from afar? Just wondering if you had words with the culprit or not - I think I would have several choice words to say to them if it was me! :evil:

Regarding polishing out the marks, somebody will probably have better input than me on this but I would suggest a small amount of T-Cut to get rid of the marks followed by your usual polish afterwards. It's funny paint on these cars though - scratches don't seem to come out as easily as they used to on past vehicles.

Hope you can clean it up anyway - good luck. :thumbup:

Post Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:31 pm
SamF10 User avatar

2retro wrote:
You must be livid! Supermarket car parks are a bloody hazard for sure. The missus moans at me because I always park at the far end of the car park away from everyone (it's only about a quarter mile walk to the store from there! lol).

Were you in the car at the time or did you witness it from afar? Just wondering if you had words with the culprit or not - I think I would have several choice words to say to them if it was me! :evil:

Regarding polishing out the marks, somebody will probably have better input than me on this but I would suggest a small amount of T-Cut to get rid of the marks followed by your usual polish afterwards. It's funny paint on these cars though - scratches don't seem to come out as easily as they used to on past vehicles.

Hope you can clean it up anyway - good luck. :thumbup:

Yeah I was pretty miffed, you could say. Still am actually!

I do the same with parking usually, my girlfriend likes to moan about it as well but now she knows why! Sadly it was only a small local supermarket with a tiny car park so parking half a mile away wasn't an option.

I was in the car at the time - we discussed it and think both cars are only really scuffed rather than badly damaged which I guess is the main thing. Just very annoying!

I have used a bit of T-Cut already (wasn't going to admit that in case I was instantly shot down for it :lol: ) and to be fair it did a really good job of removing the main marks. Topped that up using my usual AutoGlym Aqua Wax and it's almost all gone. It's just the really fine scratches that are bothering me now!
Mk1 RCZ GT THP 156

Post Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:05 pm
DKZ5745 User avatar

Kudos: 1133
Only thing I can come up with is a colour matched polish. It tends to sit in the minor scratches, rather than remove them, but it's doe do a fair job of disguising them, whereas "proper" polish tends to highlight them as they stay white after buffing.

I have also seen coloured wax, which I assume does a similar job. :eusa-think:
Mk 2 GT200 Moroccan Red

Post Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:57 pm
SamF10 User avatar

DKZ5745 wrote:
Only thing I can come up with is a colour matched polish. It tends to sit in the minor scratches, rather than remove them, but it's doe do a fair job of disguising them, whereas "proper" polish tends to highlight them as they stay white after buffing.

I have also seen coloured wax, which I assume does a similar job. :eusa-think:

I will try this, thanks :beer: can anyone suggest a good colour matched polish for Dolphin Blue?
Mk1 RCZ GT THP 156

Post Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:09 pm
2retro User avatar

Kudos: 537
They're not that specific - just 'blue' is the one you need.

Post Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:22 pm
RCZ1 User avatar

Kudos: 1481
Can you feel the scratches if you run your nail over them ? If you can then you won't be able to polish them out. The only way would be to sand them back a bit, respray and polish up. Probably a job for a reputable paint and body shop.
Mk 2 Sport 156 Moroccan Red Bespoke Nappa leather
Black Roof Arches Sports Pack Sat Nav K&N Filter Philips Diamond Vision lights

RCZ Sport 156 in Pearl White Bespoke Nappa leather interior with RCZ motif
K & N High Performance Air Filter 360/60 LED DRLs Phillips Extreme +100% Headlights Custom Car Mats

Post Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:28 pm
SamF10 User avatar

RCZ1 wrote:
Can you feel the scratches if you run your nail over them ? If you can then you won't be able to polish them out. The only way would be to sand them back a bit, respray and polish up. Probably a job for a reputable paint and body shop.

Most of them no - there's 2 very small ones which I can just about feel.

Just typical really, I've been wanting an RCZ since I first saw one, then as soon as I can afford one, some tit reverses into it :evil:
Mk1 RCZ GT THP 156

Post Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:44 am
RCZ1 User avatar

A machine polisher would probably get them out. Failing that Gtechniq P1 polish will remove scratches by hand in conjunction with a hand polishing pad which has some abrasive.
http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/accessori ... d_280.html

If you want I can send you a small sample of P1 - enough for you to try removing the scratches. PM your address if you are interested.

K & N High Performance Air Filter 360/60 LED DRLs Phillips Extreme +100% Headlights Custom Car Mats

Post Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:04 am
Nexus Member

Kudos: 12
another option would be Meguiars M105 / M205 similar to P1 by Gtechniq although M105 is probably more aggressive. The wet and dry is a bit scary and only possible if you have not gone through the clear coat the link below is Junkmans video of doing it on a Lamborghini but he does use a rotary polisher at the end.

https://youtu.be/-n9AZFYfH-E

Cheers
THP200 Red Carbon in Moroccan Red

Post Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:06 pm
SamF10 User avatar

RCZ1 wrote:
A machine polisher would probably get them out. Failing that Gtechniq P1 polish will remove scratches by hand in conjunction with a hand polishing pad which has some abrasive.
http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/accessori ... d_280.html

If you want I can send you a small sample of P1 - enough for you to try removing the scratches. PM your address if you are interested.

Thank you very much for the offer, it's very much appreciated! :beer: but I'll buy some rather than you going to that effort, as its only 6 or 7 quid :)

Cheers for the suggestions. I'm gonna give the P1 a go I think, will report back with the results!
Mk1 RCZ GT THP 156

Post Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:45 pm
RCZ1 User avatar

Make sure you use it conjunction with those German applicators in the link as you will need the abrasive side otherwise it won't be as successful as it could be.

Post Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:23 pm
SamF10 User avatar

RCZ1 wrote:
Make sure you use it conjunction with those German applicators in the link as you will need the abrasive side otherwise it won't be as successful as it could be.

Will do!
Mk1 RCZ GT THP 156

Post Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:55 pm
merchant seaman User avatar

Kudos: 57
I would take it to a car detailer
3rd RCZ Facelifted Opal White 200 GT
Black arches
Black brake calipers
Black door mirrors
19'' Soltice Onyx wheels
Vision Pack
RT6 Sat Nav

Post Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:28 pm
SamF10 User avatar

I think I am going to get a quote from a detailer that I know to machine polish it, as I want him to refurb a couple of wheels and pull out a small dent anyway. Will see if it's worthwhile and failing that I'll try the P1.

I'm determined to keep the car in showroom condition!
Mk1 RCZ GT THP 156

Return to RCZ Detailing & Car Care