Board index Peugeot RCZ RCZ Detailing & Car Care Brake Calipers

Brake Calipers

Discuss everything to do with cleaning, waxing & detailing your RCZ.

Post Mon May 25, 2015 3:47 pm
highlander64 User avatar

Kudos: 6
just spent the last couple of days doing my brake calipers, well pleased how they have come out
Just got one left to do but i can not get off the security nut,looks like its been put on with a impact driver :thumbdown: and it just keeps slipping off any ideas anyone please ??
Attachments
20150525_152449.jpg
20150525_152449.jpg (137.38 KiB) Viewed 3211 times

Post Mon May 25, 2015 5:50 pm
renegade79 User avatar

Kudos: 373
sorry i can't help but the car does look well :thumbup:
308GTi THP270 in magnetic blue

RCZ gone but not forgotten

Post Mon May 25, 2015 7:14 pm
highlander64 User avatar

Thanks Renegade :thumbup:

Post Mon May 25, 2015 8:24 pm
howardf Senior Member

Kudos: 66
I've used these guys before

http://www.cylex-uk.co.uk/reviews/viewc ... d=12970416

it looks frightening but 100% success and no damage to alloy wheels.....
i went direct to the firm and they charged per nut, it sounds like the RAC and AA carry them, maybe you should have a "puncture" ;) ........................H
Mk 2 GT200 Moroccan Red
Nav Pack, Black Pack, Vision Pack
Front & Rear sensors
19" Black Onyx Solstice
Simple Black Leather interior Heated Seats

Post Mon May 25, 2015 10:20 pm
highlander64 User avatar

Thanks Howard, that is one handy kit to have, I never thought about the AA i have a mate who works for them ill see if he has one on board :thumbup:

Post Mon May 25, 2015 10:42 pm
mrizzle User avatar

Kudos: 1570

I'll be honest, I find the wording, "making it an ideal solution for anybody looking to remove locknuts without the key", a little disconcerting!! So essentially the perfect tool for anyone looking to help themselves to sets of alloys!! :o
Former owner of: Dolphin Blue 156 GT, feline kit (black mesh grille and quad exhausts)
Black Onyx Solstice Alloys
380/360 led drls.
Osram Nightbreaker Plus Gold Edition bulbs
K&N Air Filter.
Personalised plate.

The replacement; Summit White Astra (J) GTC VXR

Post Mon May 25, 2015 10:58 pm
wrapper Banned
Banned

Kudos: 73
:shock: :o
Despite three temporary bans and various warnings, I continued to behave like a dick and got banned permanently.

Post Mon May 25, 2015 11:16 pm
DKZ5745 User avatar

Kudos: 1133
My local Pug dealer trashed 3 out of 4 of my locking nuts when they last had my car in. They then said I had done it, and I had to pay them £40 to get the old ones off and replace them with a new set.

Once the collar has slipped on the locking nut, the whole set has to be replaced. The tricky bit is getting it off. They managed it, but it took some time. They didn't damage the alloys though.

The damage happens if the nut is over tightened or of the key-socket is not put on correctly before pressure is applied.

I know a few on here have had the same problem and have replaced them with normal nuts. It appears to be another one of those problems that loads of owners has, and that Pug say never happens, and if it does, it must be the owners fault.

Even the garage that broke mine told me they had had the same problem many times :wtf:

Good luck
Mk 2 GT200 Moroccan Red

Post Tue May 26, 2015 7:27 am
SEVEN7SEV3N Senior Member

Kudos: 44
Hi, looking good. I really want to do this to my brake calipers, but have been putting it off due to the sill problem!!!
May I ask how you lifted the car, to remove the wheels ? Did you bother painting the rusty brake disc hubs as well ?
Equipment used and point of lifting please..

Post Tue May 26, 2015 10:23 am
pete.garratt Senior Member

Kudos: 149
For the front, I've taken to driving over some 30-35mm planks (to get clearance for the jack) and lifting under the subframe.

For the rear, I jack under the crossbeam (even though there's a label saying not to).
Moroccan Red R
JBL
Black Mirror Caps

Post Tue May 26, 2015 1:52 pm
tianorth User avatar

Kudos: 372
The problem with using the crossbeam is that it contains the torsion bar which needs to twist freely in the torsion tube (crossbeam) if it is put out of shape it will prevent the bar from twisting properly.

I have had one of my front jacking points collapse, but the rear ones are better as less weight on. Just be careful when jacking. Because the chassis is stiff you will find by jacking up one side of the rear, both rear wheels come off the ground.
Tia2 is a 2013 RCZ Magnetic in Black with a 2litre diesel engine
Upgraded Peugeot sat-nav now has 7 digit postcode, safety alerts and updated maps
Other mods include door catch covers, rcz puddle lights, quad exhaust tips
Tia3 is a 2015 RCZ-R in Mercury Grey with a 1.6litre petrol engine, oh and 270 bhp
Other mods include door catch covers, rcz puddle lights
Both have dash cams front and back

Post Tue May 26, 2015 9:37 pm
highlander64 User avatar

Hi Seven
I used my trusty old trolley jack which when lowered slips nicely under the cill (which i keep in a box in the boot after bad experience with a cheap scissor jack supplied with my old Citroen) and used the jacking points as in the hand book and did just one corner at a time.
I used Halfords break cleaner wire wool and a tin of red Halfords caliper paint

Post Tue May 26, 2015 9:39 pm
highlander64 User avatar

close up
Attachments
20150525_151457.jpg
20150525_151457.jpg (175.77 KiB) Viewed 3053 times

Return to RCZ Detailing & Car Care