Board index Peugeot RCZ RCZ Detailing & Car Care Bird poo and paint protection

Bird poo and paint protection

Discuss everything to do with cleaning, waxing & detailing your RCZ.

Post Sat May 09, 2015 11:54 am
thackers Member

Kudos: 32
Hi, I'm enduring a problem with birds lately, on my drive and where the car is parked sometimes in the week. It's not just the odd dropping last week the whole nearside was splattered with the usual bonnet and roof hits. I don't mind the washing but this week I encountered a mess that took some shifting and was that big I'd hate to bump into the bird that left it behind, I'm talking beer mat size here. So I'm wondering about paint protection/sealant. I use the Werkstat Acrylic set up but I'm wondering if the Gyeon Cancoat then the Werkstat stuff would provide a good enough paint protection? Any positive recommendations would be welcome :beer:

Post Sat May 09, 2015 8:33 pm
RCZ1 User avatar

Kudos: 1481
I'm a big fan of Can Coat. Even more so than Werkstat (which has ceased production now). It doesn't really matter what protection is on your car as long as it's protected. The important thing is how you remove the bird mess and how quickly. It needs to be done in a safe manner without any hard rubbing. Do you remove it straight away or wait until you wash the car and snow foam the car?

If removing it before washing then a good QD is needed to break it down and gently dab at it, don't run or you will scratch your paint.
Mk 2 Sport 156 Moroccan Red Bespoke Nappa leather
Black Roof Arches Sports Pack Sat Nav K&N Filter Philips Diamond Vision lights

RCZ Sport 156 in Pearl White Bespoke Nappa leather interior with RCZ motif
K & N High Performance Air Filter 360/60 LED DRLs Phillips Extreme +100% Headlights Custom Car Mats

Post Sat May 09, 2015 8:52 pm
wrapper Banned
Banned

Kudos: 73
[quote="thackers"]Hi, I'm enduring a problem with birds lately, on my drive and where the car is parked sometimes in the week. It's not just the odd dropping last week the whole nearside was splattered with the usual bonnet and roof hits. I don't mind the washing but this week I encountered a mess that took some shifting and was that big I'd hate to bump into the bird that left it behind, I'm talking beer mat size here. So I'm wondering about paint protection/sealant. I use the Werkstat Acrylic set up but I'm wondering if the Gyeon Cancoat then the Werkstat stuff would provide a good enough paint protection? Any positive recommendations would be welcome :beer:[/quoteAll my life i have suffered with birds and their sht ;)
Despite three temporary bans and various warnings, I continued to behave like a dick and got banned permanently.

Post Sat May 09, 2015 10:32 pm
thackers Member

RCZ1 wrote:
I'm a big fan of Can Coat. Even more so than Werkstat (which has ceased production now). It doesn't really matter what protection is on your car as long as it's protected. The important thing is how you remove the bird mess and how quickly. It needs to be done in a safe manner without any hard rubbing. Do you remove it straight away or wait until you wash the car and snow foam the car?

If removing it before washing then a good QD is needed to break it down and gently dab at it, don't run or you will scratch your paint.

It's removed the same day within 8 hours (week days) and almost straight away weekends. It's gently removed using plenty of water from a hose pipe. I must admit I'm a little confused as to which way round you use some products and which ones negate the need for others. I thought the can coat would provide a kind of seal, then what I have left of the Werkstat would provide the shine etc

Post Sat May 09, 2015 10:48 pm
RCZ1 User avatar

Gyeon Can Coat does seal but also adds great gloss. I much prefer Can Coat on white paintwork to Werkstat. Gloss and shine is really good and it really does keep it cleaner for longer.

Sounds like you are doing a good job of getting rid of the bird mess :thumbup:

K & N High Performance Air Filter 360/60 LED DRLs Phillips Extreme +100% Headlights Custom Car Mats

Post Sat May 09, 2015 10:54 pm
mrizzle User avatar

Kudos: 1570

I recall when Polished Bliss announced that Werkstat were ceasing production and subsequently replaced it all with Car Lack products which everyone long suggested were merely tinkered Werkstat products. http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/blog/201 ... ack-range/
Former owner of: Dolphin Blue 156 GT, feline kit (black mesh grille and quad exhausts)
Black Onyx Solstice Alloys
380/360 led drls.
Osram Nightbreaker Plus Gold Edition bulbs
K&N Air Filter.
Personalised plate.

The replacement; Summit White Astra (J) GTC VXR

Post Sun May 10, 2015 10:50 am
thackers Member

RCZ1 wrote:
Gyeon Can Coat does seal but also adds great gloss. I much prefer Can Coat on white paintwork to Werkstat. Gloss and shine is really good and it really does keep it cleaner for longer.

Thanks for the advice and your take on the can coat. I'm still unsure as to which products to use after the can coat (which i'll probs go for) has been applied ? Plus i'll have to wait for a clear patch of good weather to apply it and for it to cure. I'll have to get a scarecrow whilst it's being applied and dries :lol:

Post Sun May 10, 2015 1:20 pm
RCZ1 User avatar

thackers wrote:
RCZ1 wrote:

Thanks for the advice and your take on the can coat. I'm still unsure as to which products to use after the can coat (which i'll probs go for) has been applied ? Plus i'll have to wait for a clear patch of good weather to apply it and for it to cure. I'll have to get a scarecrow whilst it's being applied and dries :lol:

As Can Coat is more akin to a coating than a sealant like Werkstat, it really needs to be topped with a coat or 2 of Gyeon Cure - which is a QD or standalone sealant, but the main thing is it helps prevent water spotting, which coatings can be prone too. Cure is good but on my new Z, I topped Can Coat with Carpro Reload 2015. The water sheeting and beading is more impressive than Cure and is also straight forward to apply. Just make sure that it is the 2015 version of Reload as the last formula had streaking problems when applying on darker colours. No such problems with 2015 version. Some stockists still have the old version on their shelves.

2015 version
http://www.elitecarcare.co.uk/carpro-re ... -400ml.php

You can still top with a wax if required but there really is no need. It has great gloss levels of its own.

Post Sun May 10, 2015 6:08 pm
mistral_blue Senior Member

Kudos: 84
I carry a small bottle of water and a soft brush to remove 'deposits' asap as they will eat into the clearcoat if left for a significant time. If I'm at home or for more stubborn deposits it's worth using hot water rather than cold as it softens them up and makes it much easier to remove. You don't want to be rubbing to hard if you can help it as this is how you get swirls. If you're having major problems worth considering a car cover but there's some people suggest this can scratch the paint if put away dirty... But if my car was getting plastered, I know what I'd do!

Definitely worth having some form of protection though as it makes dirt or bird poo much easier to remove. I use Zaino Z8 sealant on the Jag, it's not cheap but you use a few squirts on a soft microfibre and gently buffed off which keeps the protection topped up between waxing it. Literally just wash as usual and apply Z8 to finish, showroom shine and protection too... When putting it on, less is more and you don't want to apply to hot paint or it can smear (as we all know, washing a car in direct sunlight is not a good idea, best to wait til your paint is cool to the touch). I've been using it since I was recommended it in 2007 and always been delighted with the results.

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/zaino/zai ... d_471.html
Peugeot RCZ 1.6 THP 200 GT - Zunsport Quads, Footrest, Boot Tray, Phillips +100% H7s, K&N Panel filter
Jaguar XKR 4.0 (modified >400BHP)

Skoda Octavia 2.0 vRS Estate

Looking for the RCZ Workshop Manual? See HERE & HERE | Link to Weekly checks & Interim Service guide HERE

Post Sun May 10, 2015 6:59 pm
mrizzle User avatar

I keep this in the car. Works a treat. Order from here and there's a forum discount code though I can't recall what it is. A quick search will uncover it though I'm sure.
http://www.bearswaxfactory.co.uk/poorbo ... -461-p.asp
Former owner of: Dolphin Blue 156 GT, feline kit (black mesh grille and quad exhausts)
380/360 led drls.
K&N Air Filter.
Personalised plate.

Post Sun May 10, 2015 7:02 pm
mrizzle User avatar

I'll save you the hassle of a search. Enter RCZ75 at checkout for 7.5% off.
380/360 led drls.
K&N Air Filter.
Personalised plate.

Post Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:46 pm
AndyLanson User avatar

Kudos: 43
I have the Peugeot protect so hope this helps. However I always have some Auto Glym wipes, water, microfibre cloth etc.

Of course you might want to think about the birds you are taking out in the car if this is their sort of behavior.

:dance:
Andrew Ryan: We all make choices, but in the end our choices make us.

Post Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:17 pm
DKZ5745 User avatar

Kudos: 1133
To be fair though, 0-60 in an RCZ is going to make anyone want to Sh#t themselves :eusa-whistle:
Mk 2 GT200 Moroccan Red

Return to RCZ Detailing & Car Care